The sign, Maltby, is the only definite indication left to verify that there was once a thriving village in the vicinity. The town had its birth shortly before the turn of the century when an A. Maltby purchased a huge tract of hardwood timbered land. A portable mill owned by Williamson and Eymer sawed the hardwood and George Huckle had a contract to cut the pine.
This brought an influx of residents and the Michigan Gazetteer lists the population as 50 in 1901. The post office cam in 1900 with Fred Woods as postmaster. He also operated a general store and was secretary-treasurer of the Goodar Lumber Company. T.J. Mudgett was president of the lumber company. This company operated a saw and shingle mill.
The Ogemaw Springs Bottling Works operated by Armstrong but owned by McGraw, started operation in either 1911-1912. Spring water was bottled here and shipped to various places downstate as a “cure all” for many kinds of sicknesses. At first the water was shipped in bottles to be sold to the public but as more rigid sanitation laws were enacted the water was s hipped to Bay City in barrels. There it was pasteurised before being bottled for public consumption. The venture failed in 1917 but a round cement wall still marks the spot where the business stood.
Rumor has it that there were about twenty small homes in the village. Fred Wood’s niece, Laura Tubesberry, for North Branch, was the first teacher. Roland Hill operated a store, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Barnaby had a boarding house, and Campbell had a store, sometime during the 1900’s.
The discontinuation of the railroad in 1930 practically isolated the village and all the old homes and business places except the Musett home, have either burned or been torn down. In 1961 Mr. and Mrs. Mike Senyko are the only permanent residents in the once thriving village. There are about four cottages in the vicinity.
As Maltby borders a cedar swamp, the cedar bough industry was quiet prominent during the early 1920’s but since that time there have been practically no business ventures in Maltby. However, it still holds its name as a wonderful deer and moral hunting area.
Again this was written by Evelyn Berry in 1961. This is used with her permission and the permission of the Rose City Area Historical Society. The photographs are courtesy of Beulah Taber Huebner.